INTRODUCTION: With emergence of many private Universities in India, a hope has been created that Indian higher education scene, utilizing the administrative & regulatory freedom inherent in the Private University concept, will get a fillip to achieve excellence through innovations in course offerings, teaching models, academic processes and research output. It is here that one finds thatAKS University at Satna, in the Vindhya region of the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, formed in 2011 is emerging as a private University with Difference.
SATNA CITY: satna is unofficially acknowledged as the Cement capital of India, given the preponderance of vast amounts of Limestone deposits in and around Satna, and every major Cement player, including Birla Group, Jaypee Group, Reliance Group, Prism Group, having established its cement plants or in the process of establishing new plants or upgrading the capacity of existing plants. Satna is more than 150-years-old Railway station on the premier Kolkata-Mumbai route. Satna city is home to many architectural wonders and heritage sites including 10th Century world-famous Khajuraho temples depicting the theme that life is a celebration in all its multifarious forms including Kama and conjugal art, and Buddhist caves, Panna forest reserve known as one of the most bio-diverse sites in central India, as well more than 100-year old Panna diamond mines. While moving ahead with modernization beyond the existing air-strip, Satna maintains its pristine traditional glory endowed to it by many succeeding dynasties. Other eminent locales within 30-100 kilometers of Satna are city of Rewa, the home of White Tiger; Maihar town, famous for annual pan-India festivals of classical music for last hundreds of years and for its nationally-renowned temple of Devi Goddess atop a high hill, which is now connected with ropeway. The unspoilt traditions and life style of the bygone era can be experienced first-hand here at Satna along with sprinkling of resorts and hotels.
VISION AND MISSION
- AKS University at Satna [M.P.] promoted by the eminent Rajiv Gandhi Group of Institutions and value-driven professionals with an enviable track-record of molding almost 12000 students over last 19 years, is guided by the principle of Think Global and Act Local. The curriculum, course offerings, and the Centers of Excellence at the AKS University are all aimed at knowledge-creation & skill-development, for the regional industry like Cement and cable, and for managing abundant regional natural resources like water, agriculture, environment, mines. This "Industry-Centric" approach of AKS University is giving the students assured opportunities for internship & practical training and knowledge-sharing sessions from industry professionals, and giving to the faculty members ample research-and-consultancy opportunities.
- AKS University's teaching is based on 60-20-20 Teaching Model, so that 60% teaching would be done by eminent & highly qualified in-house faculty drawn from world-leading institutes like IITs, NIT; 20% teaching would be done by Adjunct faculty form leading institutes form the country & abroad, and balance 20% will be taught by practicing Industry professionals. Leveraging ICT innovatively, Adjunct faculty and industry professionals would teach through Webinars, besides live lectures.
- The University's structure and philosophy is based upon a 75:15:10 Employment Model whereby 75% of the graduating students would take up jobs in companies, 15% would become Employer-Entrepreneurs; and balance 10% would go into research activity. Besides teaching, internships and industry-projects, well-equipped research-labs and incubator cells are a key feature of AKS University.
TOTAL HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- The University's focus is on Total Transformation of The Individual and producing a complete human being who is not only skilled in a vocation/technology/knowledge, but, has sound values of integrity, teamwork, transparency, and social contribution and is spiritually-conscious rather than becoming a mere bread-earner. The University's Faculty of Spiritual Studies would endeavor to arm students with awareness of spiritual dimension of human life through short-term choice-based programmes in diverse traditions including Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Jainism etc. and thereby realize the approach of Integrating Science & Technology with Spirituality, as espoused by many visionaries like Swami Vivekanand, Sri Aurobindo. Former president of India Dr. Abdul Kalam has evinced approving interest in this experiment and focus of AKS University on developing a Complete Human Being.
TRANSFORMATION THROUGH EDUCATION
- The freedom and flexibility inherent in a University is being used by AKS University to launch innovative programs & learning paradigms and to create a motivational, innovative and invigorating environment for the students and faculty. It is hoped that with attempts such as by AKS University will help Higher Education evolve to become an agent of knowledge-led transformation of the industry through enhanced competitiveness, innovative products & processes, and of the society through the contribution of students graduating as competent, spiritually-conscious & responsible problem-solvers and nation-builders.